Partners in Shepherding

 you cannot do this on your own

When I stepped up to be the youth pastor, this was not uncharted territory for me. I have been a youth worker for 5 years prior to my "promotion". I was excited and nervous for a number of reasons. But I was immediately faced with situations. A hand full of "older youth" left, some of the adult workers were not "inspired" and a few more situations that I'd rather not discuss. Problems and situations continued to pour and honestly, easily wore me down. And all of these happened in less than 2 months!

At that moment, reality hit me. I'm know my heart. I know God's call for my life. I know I have Holy Spirit power but I'm just one person. I mean Christianity will not have reached us if Jesus did things alone. That's where His "partners" came in handy. That's where His twelve came to the picture. Through His "partners", Jesus' ministry expanded like never before. And Christianity, as we know it, reached the four corners of the world.

I have come to realize and put this fact into action and it helped expand the youth group. I do not know where you currently are in your youth group. Whether you are starting to lead a group of young people or you've led them for a couple of years, it is necessary for you to have partners in shepherding your flock.

Here are a few "partners" which I personally have done (which means I'm not throwing theories and hypothetical plans - it really worked) and now sharing to you . . .

VITAL: MY LIFE PARTNER
I pray that all youth ministries will be led by married couples who both have a passion and burden to 'agape' love for this young generation.

Now, if you are a single person, do not be pressured. Don't just pick anyone because it is vital that he/she partner with you in the ministry. Let "nature" take its course. At least you can share your burden with your future partner and see if they are on the same page as you.

IMPORTANT: YOUTH LEADERS
Now, its sounds easier said than done because it's true. It's not easy for a number of reasons. There is a lack of material to build up youth leaders (and if there are materials available, the cost is too high). You can start with basic discipleship (faith, prayer, tithing, baptism, etc). Also, invest in their lives. Buy them books to read or just spend lunch with them. Remember, they will carry the torch of the ministry.

Do pray and ask God who those young leaders are. Pray and fast with regards to this situation. Why? Because it is an important decision. Jesus Himself prayed and fasted when He chose His twelve. Let's follow His lead.

NEED: ADULTS
I treated the adults workers as the "back end" of the ministry. They were helping me brainstorm, handled the logistics and planning of every activity. They also helped me big time connecting with other parents. I invited several adults to help me along the way. Parents are the easiest ones to invite since they always want to get involved in the lives of their children. I am truly thankful for the adult men and women who have partnered with me in this task.

If you are a single person leading a youth group and want a balanced group (having both male and female), you need adults. If you are a guy, partner with mom's to help you reach out to the young girls and if your a gal, partner with the dad's for them to reach out to the guys.

Still with me?

I want to discuss and share more about these three things but don't worry. I'll be sharing more on these three topics in the succeeding entry blogs.

Before I end this, I am not in any way neglecting the fact that Jesus Christ is truly our partner in doing and accomplishing His work. His guidance, power and wisdom is not even close compared to having thousands of partners and fellow shepherds. I'd like to keep it real. And I'd think, it is His wisdom that led me to partner with other people in this journey to minister to His young flock.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

.
.

Followers

About Me

My photo
curious / explorer / bald / strategist / interested / imperfect / focused / teachable / radical / pastor / reverend / in love / Jesus
Powered by Blogger.

Copyright © / deconstructing . . .

Template by : Urang-kurai / powered by :blogger